The Nintendo 3DS will launch on 25 March 2011 bringing with it handheld 3D gaming without the need for glasses. We were lucky enough to play with the 3DS in E3 last year an were blown away - as was everyone that tried one. The 3D effect is amazing and you don't need to look like a geek wearing 3D glasses on the train or bus when you're playing it which is great news - we don't need to look any more geeky!
The 3DS promises to be fully backwards compatible so you'll still be able to play existing DSi/DS games although we're sure you'll want to try out the new 3D games. The 3DS also includes 2 external cameras so you can take 3D photos and view them on screen. With 3D films also rumoured to be available the 3DS is looking set to be the portable multimedia device.
New controls add to the gaming experience - a slide pad allows greater control over the standard D-pad, a motion sensor so you can play Wii style games and also a gyro sensor ala iPhone. The combination of controls should make for some original and creative games just as the DS did when it first appeared.
- 3D Without Glasses
- 3D Screen Seeing marvellous 3D worlds come to life in the palm of your hands is an experience you have to see for yourself to believe it! The large top screen of the Nintendo 3DS system uses the latest technology to produce vivid and convincing 3D effects without the need for special glasses.
- 3D Depth Slider The 3D depth slider allows you to increase or decrease the 3D effect to find a level of 3D that's comfortable for your eyes: it can be increased up to the highest level, scaled back to a more moderate setting or even turned off completely, depending on your personal preference. (If children aged six and under have access to the system, parents or legal guardians should restrict the display of 3D images using the Parental Controls feature.)
- 3 Cameras:
- Photos in 3 Dimensions Take photos like never before with the Nintendo 3DS Camera application! The Nintendo 3DS system comes with an inner camera and two outer cameras, allowing for pictures in full 3D. Family portraits will never be the same again!
- Augmented Reality Games The 3D capabilities of the cameras allow you to truly enter a new dimension with Augmented Reality, in the AR Games application. Place one of the provided AR Cards on a flat surface, stand back and watch your game explode into life!
- Create Your Mii Put yourself in the game! Anyone can easily make a personal Mii using the new Mii Maker application! Just take a 2D photo of yourself or someone else and Mii Maker will help you out. All you have to do is specify things like the colour of hair, eyes and skin and you'll have your own personalised Mii before you know it!
- StreetPass and SpotPass Stay connected and be surprised! Nintendo 3DS keeps you connected to the world - when you're actively playing and even when you're not, using the low-energy Sleep Mode. Simply close your system while the power is on and carry it with you wherever you go!
The notification LED will flash when you've received new data. Open your Nintendo 3DS system and see what's new...
- StreetPass Interact with other players as you pass by them in the street or stand next to them in a queue. Your Nintendo 3DS system will seek out and exchange data with other Nintendo 3DS systems, providing you with new content or fresh challenges from other players.
- SpotPass With SpotPass, your Nintendo 3DS system can detect wireless hotspots or wireless LAN access points and obtain various types of data on the spot. Free software, notifications and 3D content are just some of the things that might surprise you as you discover something new every day! (Note that receiving certain types of SpotPass content may require a system update.)
What's in the Box?
Your new Nintendo 3DS system comes with everything you need to jump into the action right away! As well as your brand new Nintendo 3DS, you'll find:
- Nintendo 3DS Charging Cradle Keep your Nintendo 3DS in its new cradle whenever you're at home and not playing, and you'll always be charged up and ready to discover new things when you carry your system around with you.
- Nintendo 3DS Stylus A brand new telescopic stylus that fits snugly into your system.
- SD Memory Card (2GB) Keep your music, downloaded games and software at hand by saving them on the included SD Memory Card.
- AR Cards (x6) Enter the exciting world of Augmented Reality games with these packaged AR Cards.
- Nintendo 3DS AC Adaptor The power supply for your system.
- Quick Start Guide
- Nintendo 3DS Operations Manual
- Parental Controls Leaflet
Enjoy games right out of the box by going to the HOME Menu and discover exciting pre-installed games and applications including:
- AR Games (Augmented Reality) Watch games come to life in three dimensions right before your eyes!
- Face Raiders Collect photos of your friends' faces and then battle them in this fast-paced action game!
- Nintendo 3DS Camera Take photos of friends and family in 3D
- Nintendo 3DS Sound Edit and play with sounds.
- Mii Maker Create your own Mii character from a photo or from scratch and transfer to a friend's Nintendo 3DS!
- StreetPass Mii Plaza A plaza where Mii characters acquired via StreetPass gather. Here you can check out the profiles of other Nintendo 3DS players via their Mii character profiles, such as which country and region they are from and their most recently played game.
- Activity Log Track your walking activity during the day and check out your gaming history and stats.
Size (when closed):
134 x 74 x 21 mm
3.53-inch widescreen LCD display, enabling 3D view without the need for special glasses; with 800x240 pixel resolution (400 pixels are allocated for each eye to enable 3D viewing).
Bottom (Touch) Screen:
3.02-inch LCD with 320x240 pixel resolution with a touch screen.
One inner camera and two outer cameras with 640x480 (0.3 Mega) pixel resolution.
Nintendo 3DS Game Card: 2 GB card included.
Wireless Communication: Can communicate in the 2.4 GHz band. Multiple Nintendo 3DS systems can connect via a local wireless connection to let users communicate or enjoy competitive game play (Tag mode). Systems also can connect to LAN access points to access the Internet and allow people to enjoy games with others. Will support IEEE 802.11 with enhanced security (WPA/WPA2). Nintendo 3DS hardware is designed so that even when not in use, it can automatically exchange data with other Nintendo 3DS systems or receive data via the Internet while in sleep mode.
Touch screen, A/B/X/Y face buttons, + Control Pad, L/R buttons, Start and Select buttons, "Slide Pad" that allows 360-degree analog input, internal microphone,one inner camera, two outer cameras, motion sensor and a gyro sensor.
Other Input Controls:
3D Depth Slider to adjust level of 3D effect (can be scaled back or turned off completely depending on the preference of the user), Home button to call system function, Wireless switch to turn off wireless communications (even during game play), Power button.
A port that accepts both Nintendo 3DS game cards and game cards for the Nintendo DS/DSi, an SD memory card slot, an AC adapter connector, a charging cradle terminal and a stereo headphone output jack. Stylus pen (telescopic - extends to max. 100mm)
Stereo speakers positioned to the left and right of the top screen.
Battery: Lithium Ion battery.
When will my order be dispatched?
This item is on order. It will usually be dispatched within 5-7 days after the order has been placed.
How will my order be sent?
Our standard delivery option is FREE in the UK via Royal Mail First Class, with large or high value orders sent via Parcelforce courier service. Delivery to Europe (from an additional £2 per item) and other Worldwide countries (from an additional £4 per item) are sent via Royal Mail International who work with trusted delivery partners to deliver to the destination country.
When can I expect it to arrive?
- UKDeliveries to destinations in the UK usually arrive within 1-2 working days after the order is dispatched with the vast majority arriving on the next working day.
Deliveries to destinations in Europe take on average 3-5 working days, but times will vary depending on the import regulations and postal service in your country. Please check with your local postal service for an estimate on how long it takes to ship items from the UK to your country.
Deliveries to destinations outside of Europe take on average 5-7 working days, but times will vary depending on the import regulations and postal service in your country. Please check with your local postal service for an estimate on how long it takes to ship items from the UK to your country.
If your order has not arrived by the expected delivery date this is usually no reason for concern - see our delivery help pages.