Pick up the third generation iPad and suddenly, it's clear. You're actually touching your photos, reading a book, playing the piano. Nothing comes between you and what you love. To make that hands-on experience even better, we made the fundamental elements of iPad better - the display, the camera, the wireless connection. All of which makes the new, third-generation iPad capable of so much more than you ever imagined.
The best display ever on a mobile device Everything you do with iPad, you do through its large, beautiful display. And when the display is better, the entire iPad experience is better. The Retina display on the new iPad features a 2048x1536 resolution, 44 per cent greater colour saturation and an astounding 3.1 million pixels - in the same 9.7-inch space. That's four times the number of pixels in iPad 2 and a million more than an HDTV. Those pixels are so close together, your eyes can't discern individual ones at a normal viewing distance. When you can't see the pixels, you see the whole picture. Or article. Or game. In ways you never could before. The A5X chip with quad-core graphics drives four times the pixels of iPad 2, yet it delivers the same smoothness and fluidity iPad is known for. Even with all that extra oomph, the new iPad still gets an amazing 10 hours of battery life.
Shoot 5-megapixel still images The 5-megapixel iSight camera features a backside illumination sensor that captures great-looking pictures whether by sunlight or candlelight. Autofocus, tap to focus and tap to set exposure functions mean every photo you take instantly becomes a frame-worthy gem. And with built-in face detection that automatically balances focus and exposure across up to 10 faces, there's more room for more grins. So everyone look at iPad and say "Cheese".
Record HD video in full 1080p Sometimes life takes you by surprise. You're reading a best-seller on your iPad waiting for the morning train when you spy a gifted performer on the platform. Or you're browsing the web on the sofa when your dog trots by wearing your daughter's tutu. The iSight camera on the new iPad lets you capture all these unpredictable, beautiful and hilarious moments. In 1080p HD, no less. And with automatic video stabilisation, your recording is free of bumps and shakes. Which is a big advantage when you're laughing uncontrollably.
It's all in the lenses Megapixels matter. But the quality of a photo is determined by other things too - like the camera's optics, image signal processor and software. The iSight camera uses advanced optics to give you the best picture possible. With an f/2.4 aperture and a five-element lens, it captures light efficiently to produce a sharper overall image. And the hybrid infrared filter - typically reserved for expensive SLR cameras - keeps out harmful IR light for more accurate, uniform colours.
World ready. And very well connected You use your iPad a lot, so you want it with you wherever you go. The new iPad offers the most comprehensive support for networks around the world. It's designed with mobile antennas that access a larger frequency spectrum. That means you can get online almost anywhere you are. You can even pop in a local SIM card to get a connection when you're travelling.
iOS The world's most advanced mobile operating system. iOS is the magic behind iPad. It lets you see and do everything using Multi-Touch. It includes all the powerful, innovative, and fun built-in apps you use every day, many times a day. It's the preferred choice for app developers. And it's yet another reason no other device comes close to iPad.
- Retina display
- 9.7-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit glossy widescreen Multi-Touch display with IPS technology
- 2048x1536-pixel resolution at 264 pixels per inch (ppi)
- Fingerprint-resistant oleophobic coating
- Support for display of multiple languages and characters simultaneously
- Dual-core Apple A5X custom-designed, high-performance, low-power system-on-a-chip with quad-core graphics
- Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)
- Bluetooth 4.0 technology
- 5-megapixel iSight camera
- Tap to focus
- Face detection in still images
- Video recording, HD (1080p) up to 30 frames per second with audio
- Video stabilisation
- FaceTime camera with VGA-quality photos and video at up to 30 frames per second
- Photo and video geotagging
- Built-in 42.5-watt-hour rechargeable lithium-polymer battery
- Up to 10 hours of surfing the web on Wi-Fi, watching video or listening to music
- Charging via power adapter or USB to computer system
- 30-pin dock connector port
- 3.5-mm stereo headphone mini-jack
- Built-in speaker
- Ambient light sensor
- Digital compass
- Frequency response: 20Hz to 20,000Hz
- Audio formats supported: HE-AAC (V1 and V2), AAC (8 to 320 Kbps), Protected AAC (from iTunes Store), MP3 (8 to 320 Kbps), MP3 VBR, Audible (formats 2, 3 and 4, Audible Enhanced Audio, AAX and AAX+), Apple Lossless, AIFF and WAV
- User-configurable maximum volume limit
- Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound pass-through with Apple Digital AV Adapter (sold separately)
- AirPlay Mirroring to Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) at 720p
- AirPlay video streaming to Apple TV (3rd generation) at up to 1080p and Apple TV (2nd generation) at up to 720p
- Video mirroring and video out support: Up to 1080p with Apple Digital AV Adapter or Apple VGA Adapter (adapters sold separately)
- Video out support at 576i and 480i with Apple Composite AV Cable (cables sold separately)
- Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
- MPEG-4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640x480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4 and .mov file formats
- Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280x720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format
When will my order be dispatched?
Orders placed before 3:00pm (Monday – Friday)* will be dispatched on the same day. Orders placed outside of these hours will be dispatched on the next working day.
* Excluding UK public holidays
How will my order be sent?
Our standard delivery option is FREE in the UK via Royal Mail First Class, with large or high value orders sent via Parcelforce courier service. Delivery to Europe (from an additional £2 per item) and other Worldwide countries (from an additional £4 per item) are sent via Royal Mail International who work with trusted delivery partners to deliver to the destination country.
We also offer a guaranteed Special Next Day service* on this item for UK delivery at an additional cost from £5.95, which is guaranteed to be delivered before 1pm the following day or we'll refund the postage cost!
* Available until 3:00pm (Monday – Friday) excluding UK public holidays.
When can I expect it to arrive?
- UKDeliveries to destinations in the UK usually arrive within 1-2 working days after the order is dispatched with the vast majority arriving on the next working day.
Deliveries to destinations in Europe take on average 3-5 working days, but times will vary depending on the import regulations and postal service in your country. Please check with your local postal service for an estimate on how long it takes to ship items from the UK to your country.
Deliveries to destinations outside of Europe take on average 5-7 working days, but times will vary depending on the import regulations and postal service in your country. Please check with your local postal service for an estimate on how long it takes to ship items from the UK to your country.
If your order has not arrived by the expected delivery date this is usually no reason for concern - see our delivery help pages.